Friday, August 28, 2026

Modern Letters - Letter from Lot’s Wife to Sarah

 

Modern Letters - Letter from Lot’s Wife to Sarah

Dear Aunt Sarah,

I hope you and Abraham are doing well in that… tent of yours. I know you call it “simple living.” We call it not having discovered civilization yet.

Honestly, Sarah, I don't know how you do it. No electricity, no shopping district, no restaurants, no entertainment, and apparently no cellular connection.

You really should visit Sodom. People here have choices. They don't all think alike, dress alike, or worship alike. Nobody tells you what your family should look like. People mind their own business. Well… mostly.

Tonight, however, things are a little complicated.

Lot has brought two strangers into the house. He says they're messengers and that we must protect them. Personally, I think he's being dramatic.

The men of the city are outside now, demanding to be brought to them. Apparently these two have been going around spreading rumors that Sodom is wicked and that the city is going to be destroyed. Religion fundamentalists.

Lot is actually trying to reason with the crowd, explaining that these men are his guests and that we shouldn't hurt them. The people outside are furious, tired of being judged by outsiders who arrive for one night and think they understand an entire community.

Someone just shouted banging at our door that these so called “messengers” came here to lecture everybody about how to live. Honestly, Sarah, it sounds exactly like the kind of thing religious nuts do. Come to a city, criticize everyone, announce God's judgment, and then act surprised when nobody invites them back.

The irony is almost entertaining. Sodom has problems, certainly. Every city does. But we're working through them. We're becoming more open-minded. And frankly, I think Abraham could learn something from us.

You two have spent years living in tents, waiting for promises.

We prefer modern lifestyle.

You wait for a better world.

We prefer this very one.

Anyway, I have to go. Lot is still arguing with everyone, even with our sons-in-law - apparently our guests have made quite a mess of the evening. But don't worry about us. Sodom is doing just fine.

Your loving niece, Mrs. Lot

PS. Seriously, Sarah, come next summer. I found an amazing Sodom Airbnb with a rooftop terrace, and Temple of Free-Love view at a surprisingly reasonable weekly rate. You and Abraham would love it. 

Just book early. Sodom gets very busy this time of year.

No comments:

Modern Letters - Letter from Lot’s Wife to Sarah

  Modern Letters - Letter from Lot’s Wife to Sarah Dear Aunt Sarah, I hope you and Abraham are doing well in that… tent of yours. I ...