Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Pearl

Me - It looks like a genuine pearl. It's so cute, I want it. How much does it cost?
Him - Cute? I would never call it "cute". And yes, it's genuine.

Me - OK, it's beautiful. So?
Him - It's not cheap. In fact it's costly.

Me - But how much?
Him - I told you, it's very expensive.

Me - Do you think I could buy it?
Him - It costs everything you have, no more, no less. And anybody can buy it.

Me - I'll buy it.
Him - What do you have? Let's write it down.

Me - Oh, don't worry, I have $100,000 in my saving account. 
Him - Good, $100,000. What else?

Me - What else? I have nothing more. That's all I have.  
Him - Have you nothing more?

Me - Well, I have some dollars here in my pocket, but...
Him - How much?

Me - Let me find them. So, thirty, forty, fifty, eighty, one hundred, one hundred twenty... one hundred twenty dollars and 75 cents.
Him - That's fine. What else do you have? 

Me - I have nothing else. That's all. I swear to...
Him - Stop! Don't ever do that. Ever.

Me - Do what?
Him - Swear. Never mind. Where do you live?

Me - I live in my house.
Him - The house, too.

Me - You mean I must live in the shed?
Him - Have you a shed too? That too. What else?

Me - Do you mean that I must live in my car then?
Him - Have you a car?

Me - A little SUV and and old pick-up truck.
Him - Both become mine. Both cars. What else? 

Me - You keep saying "what else, what else"...  You've got my house, the shed, the cars, all my money, everything!
Him - What else?

Me - See what I mean?
Him - Are you alone in the world?

Me- No, I have a wife and two children.
Him - Your wife and children too.

Me - Wow, wait a minute here, this is like enslav... 
Him - I told you, everything you have. What else?

Me - I have nothing else, I am left alone now. 
Him - Oh, you too! Everything becomes mine - family, house, money, cars... everything. And yourself too. 

Me - ...
Him - Now you can use all those things here but don't forget they are mine, as are you. When I will ask you of the things you use, you must be ready to give them back because I am the owner. But for now keep them along with the pearl. Deal?


No comments:

My Lazarus

  If you will, you can make me clean . (Mark 1:40) I hear my own heart in the words of this desperate leper. He knows that God can do anyt...